기억과평화 메인

기억과평화 메인

서브탑
Home > Koo Hakyoung, the Yeot Seller(엿장수 구학영 영문판) - A korean migrant in Japan in 1923( > 간행물안내

Koo Hakyoung, the Yeot Seller(엿장수 구학영 영문판) - A korean migrant in Japan…

페이지 정보

작성자기억과평화 댓글 0건 조회 34회 작성일 23-10-11 18:37

본문

1923년 간토대지진 당시 사이타마에서 엿장수를 하던 조선인 청년 구학영이 자경단에 의해 학살당한 사건을 사료와 연구자료를 바탕으로 쓴 창작 이야기이다. 글을 쓴 김종수(1923한일재일시민연대 대표)가 수차례 현장을 방문하여 연구자들과 추도위원회와 인터뷰를 하고, 구학영에 관한 학살을 기록한 사료들과 연구물을 바탕으로 글을 썼으며, 그림을 그린 한지영 작가도 직접 현장을 찾아가 구학영의 묘소를 참배하고 당시의 그림 자료들을 참고하여 삽화를 그렸다. 2021년 출판된 책 『엿장수 구학영』의 영문판 번역도서이다.

저자소개
김종수 (지은이)
기억과 평화를 위한 1923역사관 관장
1923한일재일시민연대 상임대표
한국기독교장로회 교회와 사회위원회
1923간토학살진상규명위원회 위원장

개여울이 큰 바다의 물결이 되는 것은 멈추지 않는 흐름이 있기 때문일 것입니다. 간토대학살사건 100년에 즈음하여 감추어진 역사를 드러내고, 왜곡된 역사를 바로잡는 일도 중단되지 말아야 합니다. 진실의 물결을 만드는 이들의 이야기를 꾸준히 담아내고 싶습니다.

최근작 : ,<어서 와~ 아우내는 처음이지?!!>,<엿장수 구학영>

한지영 (그림)
불가리아 대학에서 정교회 예술을 공부했습니다.
졸업 후 성화뿐 아니라 삽화작업도 하고 있습니다.

2009년 여름, 뜨거운 여름날의 태양 하래서 간토대학살의 슬픈 진실을 처음 들었습니다.필드를 걷던 그날 그날의 분위기와 눈물 없이 들을 수 없었던 증언들, 그리고 흔적도 찾기 힘든 수많은 죽음들 속에 외롭지만 단단하게 서있던 구학영의 묘까지 생생히 기억납니다.
이 여행을 계기로 삽화 작업을 하였습니다.

목차

Author’s Note

The Buddies
The Ominous Sign At Dawn
Inferno Tokyo
Rumors That Spread Faster Than Wind
Familiar Screams, Piled up Bodies
Rumors Disguised as Facts by the Japanese Authorities
Show me how you say “Jugo yen gojit sen”
Koreans, slaughtered like bugs
Yodomura vigilantes, zombies of slaughter
“The Chief Protects Senjins, He Must Be a Commie!”
罰 日本 無罪, The Meaning of the Koo Hakyoung’s Dying Note
Koo-Chan! Don’t leave here!

Epilogue

공동 번역자
Okkyung Pak / Montreal, Canada(Anthropologist-Writer)
We received a request from the author of this book to translate it into English at the discussion meeting of overseas Koreans on the 100th memorial of Kanto earthquake . Soon a translation team was volontarily formed with the desire to let people know, young and old, about the forgotten history of the massacre of the innocent Korean - Japanese through the life story of a young man called Koo, Hakyoung sacrificed by the state violence with the excuse of natural disaster of Kanto earthquake. During the translation work period, on-line discussion meetings on the subject were held to warn people about state violence. We revealed our plan for continuing search for ways of uncovering truth about forgotten and hidden history.

번역팀으로 함께 하면서 한국의 아픈 역사에 대해서 배울 수 있는 소중한 기회였습니다. 또한 다른 역사적 사건들에 대해 제가 얼마나 무지했는지 깨닫게 해주는 기회이기도 했습니다. 저를 포함한 많은 사람들은 과거는 지나갔으니 미래에 집중하라고 많이들 이야기 합니다. 그러나 이 책은 그냥 지나가거나 잊어서는 안되는 과거도 있다는 것을 가르쳐 줍니다.
때로는 인간이 인간에게 저지른 가혹한 행위에 마음이 아프고 분노가 일어나 번역하기가 너무 어려웠던 순간들도 있었습니다. 독자들 중에 분명 저와 같은 경험으로 읽기 힘든 부분들도 있겠지만, 이것이 실제로 과거에 일어난 일이며 고통스러운 역사를 눈감아서는 안 된다는 것을 기억하고 꼭 끝까지 읽기를 바랍니다.
이 소중한 프로젝트에 참여할 수 있는 기회를 주셔서 감사합니다. 우리가 함께 과거를 이해하고 받아들임으로써 좀 더 나은 미래를 꿈꿀 수 있다 생각합니다.

Shawn Kim / Sanfrancisco, US(Director of GRC, Sanford University)
Being part of the translation team has been an immensely eye-opening experience, allowing me to delve into the painful history of the Korean people. It has brought to light my own ignorance regarding many other historical incidents as well. Often, we hear people, myself included, urging others to "move on" and focus solely on the future. However, this book has served as a crucial reminder that there are certain aspects of the past that should never be overlooked or forgotten.
There were moments during the translation process when I found it incredibly challenging to proceed, as my heart was filled with sorrow and indignation at the inhumane actions committed by fellow human beings. I understand that some young readers may struggle with the content as I did, but it is imperative that we acknowledge and confront the painful history that unfolded. We must not turn a blind eye to the atrocities that occurred.
I am grateful for the opportunity to have contributed to this significant project, as it has allowed me to recognize the importance of preserving and sharing these stories. It is through understanding our collective past that we can strive for a more empathetic and compassionate future.

나라 잃은 설움을 당했던 할머니 할아버지들의 한을 이런 짧은 소설로나마 실감나게 전달할 수 있는 기회에 동참하게 되어 기쁘고, 독자들이 세계에서 일어나는 국가폭력에 의한 민중들의 삶을 실감하는 기회가 되기를 바랍니다.
I am glad to have the opportunity to participate in conveying the deep sorrow of grandmothers and grandfathers who suffered the pain of losing their country, even through a short story, and I hope this can be an opportunity for readers to feel the lives of people suffering from state violence around the world.

Linda Moh / Indianapolis-Chicago, US(Social Justice Activist-House Keeper)
이 책을 번역하면서 일본 식민지 시대때 나라를 빼았기고 가족들이 갈기 갈기 찢어져야했던 조선인들의 설음과 분노를 보았습니다. 이 책을 통해서 더 많은 사람들이 조선의 근대역사를 이해하는 기회가 되기를 바랍니다.
I appreciate the work of translating the story in this book, which helped me to understand the sufferings of Korean people during the Japanese colonial period. I hope this book helps more people to understand the modern history of Korea!

Minyoung Song / Michigan, US.(Dreamer)
억압받은 자들의 흔적은 끊임 없이 발굴되고, 기록되고, 기억되어야 합니다. 그들의 재, 뼈, 피, 묘비는 세상이 ‘사실’ 또는 ‘전부‘라고 명명한 것들이 허구임을 드러내주기 때문입니다. 그래서 저는 묵살된 죽음의 흔적을 추적하는 방식으로 억울한 죽음들을 애도하고 진실을 가리는 환상에 저항하는 노력들을 지지합니다. 따라서 구학영의 죽음과 그의 흔적을 추적한 이 이야기의 번역에 참여할 수 있게 해주신 김종수님과 공동번역팀에게 고마움을 전합니다.
저는 이 번역 작업을 평생 기억할 것 같습니다. 간토 학살로 살해된 조선인들의 공포와 고통을 가장 적절히 전달할 수 있는 영어 어휘를 고르기 위해 한글 원문 속으로 빠져들어 그들이 겪은 공포와 고통을 통감해보려 애쓴 시간들은 고스란히 저의 신체에 각인되었습니다. 그 과정은 또한 제가 한국어와 영어의 각 단어들이 내포한 공포, 고통, 슬픔 등의 의미의 스펙트럼에 대해 엄중히 숙고해보는 경험도 되었습니다. 무엇보다도, 사건에 한 개인의 이름이 붙여지고 그 사람의 삶이 입체적으로 펼쳐질 때, 그가 겪은 고통은 무척 고유하면서도 육중한 한 인간의 고통으로 다가온다는 것을 또 절감하였습니다.
그래서 저는 구학영을 위해 웁니다. 세상 곳곳에 파묻힌 고통의 흔적들을 생각합니다. 묘비조차 남기지 못하고 학살당한 헤아릴 수 없는 수의 “불령선인”들을 애도합니다. 간토 학살의 진실이 그 끝까지 다 드러나길 바랍니다.

The traces of the oppressed must be unearthed, recorded, and remembered, for their ashes, bones, blood, and tombstones reveal the falsity of what the world has labeled "fact" or "the whole story." For this reason I support efforts that trace the muted deaths. It is a way of mourning the unjust sufferings and resisting the illusions that obscure the truth. So I am grateful to Jongsoo Kim and the co-translators for allowing me to participate in the translation project of the story about the life and death of Koo Hakyoung.
I will remember this translation project for the rest of my life: the hours I spent immersed in the original Korean text, pondering the corresponding English vocabulary that would optimally convey the horror and suffering of the Koreans killed in the Kant? Massacre, are imprinted on my body. It was also an experience that forced me to think deeply about the spectrum of meaning of diverse words for fear, pain, and sorrow in both Korean and English. Most importantly, I learned again that when a person's name is attached to a suffering and their life unfolds in multiple dimensions, it becomes a very unique and tangible tragedy of a human being.
So I cry for Koo Hakyoung. I think about the traces of suffering buried all over the world. I mourn the unfathomable number of "unruly-Senjins" who were slaughtered without even a tombstone. I hope that the truth of the Kant? Massacre will be revealed to its fullest extent.

Munjo Yu / NC, US(S/W Developper at Oracle)
실제 역사적 사건을 바탕으로 한 가슴 아픈 이야기를 번역하는 데 참여하게 되어 영광이었습니다. 이 사건은 홀로코스트와 일정정도 비슷하게 국가가 부추긴 학살입니다. 하지만 홀로코스트와 달리 관동 대학살은 부정되어 왔고 해결되지 못한 채 묻혀 있었습니다. 이번 영어 번역을 통해 이 잔학 행위가 더 많이 조명되고 응당한 해결을 본다면, 이 세상은 좀 더 인간적이고 살기 좋은 세상이 될 수 있을 것입니다.
I was honored to participate in the translation of the heart-wrenching story based on the true historical incident. The incident is a state-instigated massacre somewhat similar to the Holocaust. However, unlike the Holocaust, the Kanto massacre has been denied and buried without any kind of resolution. If this English translation helps the atrocity get more light and a deserving resolution, perhaps the world will be a bit more humane and livable.

댓글목록

등록된 댓글이 없습니다.